Monday, July 8, 2013

Summer Playdates/Homeschool adventures.

Mondays and Thursdays are quickly becoming my favorite days of the week! They're the homeschooling play group days! I feel more energized and excited for the future being around these amazing ladies! It's funny because most homeschooling moms that I've come across are also pro home birth/natural birth. My best friend Whitney and I have come to conclude that when you question the hospital, it becomes naturally easy to question public education. And truthfully, none of us have any problems with people that choose differently, we're just all happy to have each other to bounce our crazy ideas off of!

Unschooling is somewhat of a natural result of attachment parenting. Most of the moms cosleep, breastfeed into toddlerhood, don't discipline, etc and the thing that is so refreshing is the way they respect their kids' opinions even if they are unpleasant. One of the moms brought a 9 year old who outwardly complained that she was bored. Instead of saying "that's rude, don't say that" she just respected her opinion and said they would go home soon. That's such a beautiful concept to me! I love being around people like that. People I know are going to respect my kids too.

This evening we also went for a walk with my neighbor. Her kids are bilingual English and Spanish. I can't even tell you how happy it makes me for my kids to be around that. Tonight we spent about an hour on google translate learning different Spanish words. I love that they are also pro homeschooling and live only a two minute walk away. We went and saw the "Caballos". I tried to pick up on some of the beautiful words her kids were saying. I can understand Spanish more than I can speak it so it's fun to have that exposure as well. Gives me motivation to teach/learn it myself. So Gisselle, if you're reading this, come speak lots of Spanish around my kids ;)

Every summer I always have big plans to spend time outside and do fun things, but end up staying inside because of the heat. But because of this group and having Whitney, I've really pushed myself to never say no and to do what my kids want to do. When my neighbor asked if I wanted to go for a walk, my first instinct was to make up an excuse because I was tired from being out and about all day (Whitney and I went to lunch after the play date and the bounce house), but I decided that I don't want to be that person anymore and I was so glad I said yes. Having all these homeschooling families around is helping me understand why I felt so strongly that this was the house we needed to be in.

No comments: